Monday, February 16, 2009

~Can We Really Scare Away The Winter?~

~Fasching, Carneval or Mardi-Gras, no matter what you call it, many cultures throughout the world celebrate the pre-Lenten season with elaborate celebrations and revelry. Whether intended as one last fling before the fasting and austerity of lent or just to scare away the evil spirits of winter and bring in the warm spring - it is definitely not to be missed. We had a fun filled day of great food, spirits and entertainment. We had the chance to see the witches, goblins and fools come out to play. We had to watch out for the witches, they like to play jokes on the spectators by untying shoes and putting hay down your back. We were definitely up for trying anything at this point to scare away the winter.. it has been a very cold and snow filled couple of months in Germany~








~And since the parade didn't work to scare away the cold, we decided to enjoy the warmth from friends and loved ones and just enjoy it...


~Steve was kind and sent me some arm warmers for Valentine's Day.. I love them! Thank you bears.. I love you & Happy Valentine's Day. Sad we were not able to spend this one together, but glad that our friends were there to come to our rescue this year~


~I came downstairs in the morning and the boys wished me a Happy Valentine's Day with a love song and a sweet note.. I love my boys.. they definitely warmed my heart~


~Is there anything more precious than a homemade valentine from your son? I was so happy when he gave this to me. I also found this beautiful plant and some fresh pastries on my porch.. I was feeling the love.. we were off to a great start~


~Our neighbors rang the doorbell and asked if we wanted to build an igloo with them - we had a bunch of new snow fall over night. The boys had fun helping to fill the buckets and were very proud of their igloo~


~Kade was having the best time. He just got done hitting me in the face with a snowball.. can you tell he felt really bad?~


~We were finally done.. and then our neighbor said that he wanted to add a curtain to the door.. and this is what he came out with! Happy Valentine's Day & God Bless America - I love it!~


~We came inside and had hot chocolate with marshmellows and then the doorbell rang again.. we had more visitors! Our friends came by with a bag full of our favorite treats and gave us an invitation for a candlelight dinner at their house that night. We were so happy, and we were so touched that so many people were so kind to us today. I will take the winter.. if it can be filled with so much love and warmth~

6 comments:

kati said...

We were glad that you accepted our invitation! We had a great weekend...come again soon!

Sarah Young said...

I'm so glad you had a great V-Day and that you were feelin' the love! I must say, I'm proud of the boys for not being scared by those witches... I think some of those masks would have given ME nightmares! :)

Barb McLean said...

Wow...now that's an awesome igloo! Glad your little men helped you to fill the love. My momma made me a homemade valentine herself that touched me so much because she wrote my name on it and had put stickers on it, and it was so filled with love. Here's hoping spring is just around the corner for you... the sooner it comes the sooner you get your man back!

hilla said...

That is so sweet! There is nothing like friends to make far away places feel more like home!
On a different note- are Americans boring, or do i just live in the wrong part of the country? Your posts are always so full of German cultural celebrations and such. I love it.

hilla said...

And no, I dont' know what could be more tender than a homemade Valentine from your child. What a tender lil guy.

Garrett and Heather Wood said...

I love the snow cave. It reminded me of when I was in Egypt for Thanksgiving and they brought out a Turkey with sparklers lit stuck all over it. A little odd and mixed up with holiday madness.